Thursday, March 03, 2005

Ups and Downs

I made it through my VAC treatment and the following week as normal. But then out of nowhere I was completely exhausted over the weekend. I didn’t even feel I had enough energy to stand up. As I look back on that weekend, I feel fortunate I even went to church on Sunday, because I didn’t do much more than that and sleep the whole weekend. And what amazes me is that even though I slept so much during the day, I still slept great at night. I must have needed the sleep!!

Over the past week and a half, I have had a couple of joys. Attending the Goshen College Men’s Choir concert was a lot of fun. And before the concert I had the privilege of eating with the choir and then going to Mark’s (good friend and choir member) house to eat cookies and talk more with some of the guys. I also finished my final exam this past week for one of my classes from last semester. That feels good. And I also spent time with two guys from the community who have become mentors to me as I walk the road set before me. I always look forward to the time we spend together and then walk away feeling challenged and refreshed.

It has been a little over four months now since my diagnosis of cancer and the journey, which has felt longer than a year by now, has and still is teaching me a lot. I have and am learning new insights into my inner being as well as growing spiritually. The depth of my growth though is far too great, and so new that I simply cannot express it on the blog at this time. But, if you really want to know more, lets go get some coffee sometime. But I must confess that what I tell you may be outdated within an hour or so. As far as growing goes right now, it’s an exciting time!

A look into the future: I have CT scans approaching. The date is March 14th and I would appreciate your prayers as this look inside my body approaches.

With much love,
Nathan

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nathan-
i'm excited for your ability to grow during this time. you amaze me and encourage me to continue to grow even though i'm not in the same place you are in.
i'm praying for your upcoming ct scans and hope the news is good. and i will take you up on going out for coffee sometime! take care and know that goshen still misses you.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, It is Tuesday, March 8th, and I have come home for an early lunch hour so that I may continue the prayer and fasting time on my own. Even though we are not meeting at the church, many of us are continuing on our own. I had a very blessed time praying as I drove home.

I thank Him that your strength and energy has improved. I read recently that all healing is a miracle, whether it is instantaneous or over a long period. I thank Him for every moment of healing. I thank Him for the growth you are experiencing and your willingness to share. I thank Him and so happy that you are able to go to Hesston this week.

Oswald Chambers in "My Utmost for His Highest" for yesterday's devotion wrote, "The saint never knows the joy of the Lord in spite of tribulation, but because of it. We are more than conquerors through Him in all these things, not in spite of them, but in the midst of them"

What a saintly spirit you have exemplified to all of us. May our loving Father continue to uphold you with His strong right hand!

Barb Ramsey

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI, Nathan, this is a report from your southern hemisphere prayer team. We remembered you this morning here in Quito Ecuador during our morning devotions on our Ecuador mission trip. We are praying that your exam shows positive results and that chemo continues to go well.

In Christ,

Roger, Grant, Ramiro, Kelsey, Erica, Stephanie, Susan, Edie, Joyce, Jerry, Jon, Gay, Trent, Matt

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nathan, Just wanted to say hello from Indiana. I say a special prayer for you and Todd everyday. Our God is an AMAZING GOD who I pray in faith will heal you for his glory. Thanks for the example of persevering faith! Your cousin Mike, Shannon, Kayla, and Austin.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home