Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Chemo Continues

Hi

I am beginning to develop a chemo routine. It all starts off on a Monday with all three chemos, and then I feel sick for a week, receive one chemo on the next Monday, run greater risk of infection for two or three days (from the three chemotherapies), start to feel better and better (2nd week), receive one chemo again on the third Monday (same as 2nd week), and continue to feel better until I start all over with the three chemotherapy treatment. That is sort of becoming the structure of my life and I am finding other activities to fill in the downtime between everything. Lately I have been fairly busy though as my sister is home from college and we have been celebrating Christmas and doing things together as a family. But, my family is still going to go out sometime this week to go shopping and exchange a few gifts, as I was not up to this last week.

This past Monday, I was also able to get a port put in my chest. I tried getting one two months ago but the tumors in my chest were too big and closed off my blood vessels too much. Since then they have shrunken enough to allow the doctors to put the port in place. The port will allow me to receive my chemotherapy without receiving a new IV every time. The nurses can just put a needle into the metal port in my chest to administer the chemotherapy and other medicines. This will help protect the vessels in my arms from the many months of receiving medication.

Right now my white blood count is potentially very low, so I would appreciate prayer for protection from infections. I would also appreciate prayer for God to continue to shrink the tumors in my body. I am very excited that they are going away, they just need to continue to do so.

I hope you are all experiencing Christ’s love during this time,
Nathan

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nathan,
I wanted to let you know that my family, my church, and I are praying for you. I know that there are many other people who are praying for you as well. Your story and your dependence on God has really been an encouragement to me. You and your family are in my thoughts and my prayers. But, more importantly, you are in the hands of our loving and caring Father. May God bless you as you walk this journey together.
Melissa Wenger

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,

Your East Goshen Menno family is remembering you. It is so good to hear that that tumors are shrinking! We will keep right on praying for you. We hope you keep strong and can come back to GC and East Goshen before too long. We miss you.

Barb Slagel

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family! Like always, its great to read your blog...but especially when you have such encouraging news to share...thank you God that the tumors are shrinking. We will keep you in our daily prayers to keep your WBC count up and infection-free. Your dad's article in The Journal was very special. Please tell him that Rob read it at our church service this a.m. and we asked everyone to keep you in their prayers. Who knows what 2005 will bring, but we must live and love each day to the fullest! God's blessings~ Tammy Negrete

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying.
Andrew Ottoson
Tabor College
http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=grebsrof21

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nathan
i think of you often. thanks for taking the time to update your blog as able...i enjoy the chance to keep up with your battle and recovery. i was on the goshen website today and saw a picture of you with customary big smile and honest face and it made me miss you a lot. i admire the bold positive tone you write with...while i imagine the fear and dispair that stalks in the darkness. you inspire me. nuff love, isaac hooley

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan-
We are praising God that the tumors have started shrinking and that you are now able to have the port put in. I wanted to let you know that our chapel prayed for you on Sunday, that God would continue to be with you as you go through your treatments, and that the tumors would continue to shrink and you would be healed completely. Hang in there, you have a lot of people who are praying and pulling for you!!!
Diane Kittle
Lakenheath, England

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home