Sunday, March 26, 2006

Neuro Psyche Exam

This past Friday, I spent around three and a half hours in the hospital, but this time I was assessed by a neuro psyche doctor. The focus of the visit was to test my ability to read and word finding since my brain was effected when I had brain surgery. The tests involved repeating numbers, letters, and reading. It wasn’t difficult because I have been living with these challenges for the past six months. Once I was done with the test, the doctor told me that I have moderate problems with word recall and reading. The most interesting thing that I learned during this time was that different parts of the brain run eye site and another part runs one’s ability to write. Since the part of my brain that is involved with writing was not damaged I can still write even though my reading is very slow. I read approximately two short sentences in a minute, but I can still write you blogs :) The doctor is confident that my brain will continue to regain my reading and word recognition skills. In addition, I will receive therapy to help me improve.

While my reading isn’t the best right now, I am still very thankful that God has given me the ability to recover from the stem cell transplant with as much energy as I have right now. I can actually run up the stairs right now which is something new.

Nathan

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for another update Nathan. I was just praying for you and your family and thought I'd check and see what's happening. It is so encouraging to see your progress and how God keeps working! Blessings, Althea

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan,
It was so good to see you yesterday at IMS...you're looking healthier each time! I've missed your blog entries, but this means you aren't at drs. appts and in the hospital as much...yeah! PTL!We're thankful for your progress and the optimism of your drs. that your reading will improve...the human brain is so amazing...God is amazing! You are amazing!
Hugs & blessings,
Tammy N.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

having you in the office yesterday was a breath of fresh air, and thanks for dragging your guitar along and playing for me. :) And while i'm not around you enough to see your moments of discouragement or frustration, what impresses me about you is your quiet determination. God bless you, Nathan--and may He Bless you Real Good!
Julie
PS i still can't play the G9 but i'm working on it! :)

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan,
You have never met me but I'm am your mom's cousin. You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers since your initial diagnosis.
I graduated with a BSW from EMU in 1981. Now, I'm a Social Work grad student at the University of Illinois with a health care specialization. Presently I'm doing a presentation on myosarcoma.
I am requesting your permission to use inserts from your blog to educate the class on the impact of spirituality when facing illness (something we have been talking about in class.) Your insights are inspiring.
I will respect your decision either way. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Say "hi" to your mom for me.
In His love,
Karen (Bachman) Nafziger ekn1988@hotmail.com

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home