Wednesday, June 22, 2005

One More Treatment!?!

What does it mean to have only one more scheduled treatment in the fight against rhabdomyosarcoma? I’m not sure yet, but I am excited at the possibility that I will be finished. And yet I hope I don’t write the word “finished” to prematurely as I don’t really know what is in store for the future. The truth is that I will probably never be finished with the fight as I will continuously be conscious of my health for the rest of my life. But, I can’t wait to be done with this horrible chemotherapy.

Having cancer and the treatment of it has left a scare in my mind that I imagine will never go away, not that I want it to either. This whole journey has taught me a lot and I am counting on that scar to forever remind me of everything I have been through and learned. An experience like this is not something that I want to let just slip away from me.

My week at camp as the camp pastor went well. I enjoyed it a lot. Perparing for two 20-minute sessions each day was a lot of work, but I really enjoyed being at camp with the campers and speaking. God was with us all last week at camp. And thanks for your prayers, because even though I was doing more than normal, which has contributed to me getting sick in the past, I remained healthy.

Right now I am in Kansas visiting Kendra. I found a ride down with a friend from church and took the last minute opportunity. I will be back in Iowa though for my treatment on Tuesday. Once again, I will appreciate it if you remember me in your prayers even though after receiving chemotherapy for 12 times it is now longer new. I still rely on God for strength after each treatment. Additionally, I will have exams in around three weeks (July 13th). As the exam date draws closer and the anxiety builds, I will really be able to use the support of my faith community. It would be awesome if everything was gone, but no matter what the results are, I most importantly need God’s supportive arms wrapped around me. God’s reassurance that everything is going to be all right has been amazing.

With Joy,
Nathan

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan,
You don't know me but I know your parents. I learned to know them on the MCC Black Hills Bike/Hike trip. I told them last weekend that a lot of us who were on that trip have been reading your blog faithfully and praying for you. We will certainly continue to do so, especially in July during the time of your tests and results. You are an amazing young man! Edie Tschetter

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan: So happy your week at camp went well. We are continuing to lift you up in prayer as the apprehension builds up to the time of your evaluation. I am sure God will use you in very special ways. God loves you and so do we,

Roger and Joanne

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,

Kristin is experiencing Rocky Mountain Mennonite Camp with Sara Eigsti this week.......both little girls are there with you in mind and Kristin is planning to prayerfully think of you as she enjoys the week there knowing you would love to be there right now too! They asked some people at registration if they knew you and the girls seemed delighted that they did! (Some were asking about you.)

As you prepare for your last chemo treatment tomorrow, I hope you won't feel alone as you continue to be in so many prayers.....know that our family is with you in spirit as we ask our Father to continue to wash you of the last cancer cells in your body.

We love you and will continue to pray. You inspire us, Nathan. Thanks for all you have taught us by your beautiful faith!

craig, jane, thomas, maria, kristin

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nathan, Thank you for your awsome demonstration of faith! I am thankful that your time as the camp pastor went well and that you had a good experience there. Keeping you in prayer as you recover from this last treatment. Deployed training the units that will replace our cousin Todd's group in Iraq this winter. Shannon, Kayla, and Austin spending summer in Montana. Saw this reading today." There shall be a performance of those things. O burdened heart, rest ever in his care; In quietness beneath His shadowing wings. Await the answere to thy longing prayer. He speaks and it is done our mighty Lord! There shall be a performance of those things!" Have a great Fourth of July! Your cousin, Mike.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nathan,
Your picture and article from the Goshen paper of several months ago remains on our refrigerator. As this whole experience has changed you forever, so has it changed all of us as well. One life touches so many others. We love you, Nathan and continue to pray for you daily.
Susan and Dick See

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan,

We were just talking about you on 4JPE and glad to hear you are doing well! Next time you're here I'm sure the nurses would love if you stop by and visit. Hope that all your exams are good!
Thanks for your good testimony here!

Althea

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home