Monday, October 17, 2005

More Treatment

The last couple of days have been very busy for me. On Friday I learned that I will be receiving radiation for nine more days. Since radiation is working to shrink the tumor, they want to maximize the treatment by using radiation throughout my whole brain. This increases the risks for short-term memory loss and greater fatigue. So, losing as little short-term memory as possible is an important prayer request for me. The therapy is still easy, just a bit more risky since it involves the whole brain.

Then on Saturday I attended the fund-raiser that was organized by my close friends. It was a lot of fun and I think I was the one who benefited the most. I got to see so many friends and my job was to talk with them. It was quite easy and a lot of fun. I also realized how many people are praying for me as there were around 900 people who came. And then I also realized there are even more people than that praying for me as I know I have many friends around the world all remembering my struggles and lifting me up to the Lord in prayer. It is really amazing!

Sunday I went to church :)

Then today I had another radiation treatment at two o’clock and then met with my cancer doctors after receiving my radiation. My doctor let me know that I have been quite a challenge lately and to stop being such a difficult cancer patient. Then she smiled. But the truth is that I have been difficult. My brain cancer has really tangled everything up. I wasn’t supposed to receive radiation before my bone marrow transplant. But, today I learned that a couple weeks after finishing my radiation therapy, I will then begin the bone marrow transplant. I am not looking forward to it at all as it will be very exhausting, but I also know that I need it to survive. The radiation won’t get everything and the chemotherapy with the radiation is the best treatment that the doctors can give me. So, this is another prayer request. I need God’s support to help me through the closest thing to hell as I know on earth.

I know this is a long blog page, but I guess I had a lot to write.

Nathan

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was not blog surfing...I came to your blog intentionally. :) You are right, there have been a lot of people praying for you and there are a lot people who will continue to pray for you as you face the difficult weeks ahead!! We have an awesome God!!!!

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,
There are so many people who wish they could be there in a more "real" way than just prayer but since this is all we have, we pray diligently for you. You are amazing Nathan!
God bless!
~Kassidy Cheek

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a delight to see you at the IMS games and the fundraiser, Nathan! You are an inspiration to many and a reminder of strength through prayers, love, encouragement, and especially our Jesus! I still would take your place for you in a minute, but apparently that's not in the plan right now. Soooo -- I'm sticking to Plan A: prayers, prayers, prayers!!! Keep your strength in Him. We're all with you and your family, Nathan!
-- Mary Forney

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. I want you to know I think and pray for you daily. Even though I am many miles away and have not spoken with you for quite some time, I want you to know I care and think about you often and encourage you to be strong. If there is anything I can ever do while in Virginia, please don't hesitate to ask. All of us here in Virginia miss you and care about you a lot and look forward to seeing you soon!

Lots of love,

Audrey

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nathan,
We are so glad to hear that the fund raiser went well...but we are so sad that we could not be there to support you in person. In church the other weekend we read about Job and his struggles...you continue to remind me of him with your continuous faith in Christ and his powers. I just can't thank God enough that you still have your family, friends and even your doctors to support you through this time. We miss you so much and hope and pray that God will continue to hold you in his hands and comfort you with his love for you.
May God's blessings be with you! Thank you for keeping us posted on your progress.
With love
Becky and Rob

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan-

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I wanted go to your fundraiser last weekend but I could not make it. To help you with medical costs I have posted an auction on Ebay.com and all proceeds will go to you. Stay Strong-

Kyle Kling

Auction link: (cut & paste)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6571384687&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good evening, Nathan, Carol, Tim, Ericka and Caleb,
You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers each day. I especially thought of you this week as I visited the "old" CO neighborhood and drove past my place as well as your "old" home. I had the opportunity to share in the MCMC women's Bible study last week and this week and of course we prayed for you. Teresa B. shared about your upcoming treatments as I hadn't had a chance to check your blog.
If I wouldn't have had tickets to CO I would have come to IA with the AMBS prof when he was out to teach his class at IMS a week ago. Maybe another time... Love, prayers and blessings, Sharon

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good evening, Nathan, Carol, Tim, Ericka and Caleb,
You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers each day. I especially thought of you this week as I visited the "old" CO neighborhood and drove past my place as well as your "old" home. I had the opportunity to share in the MCMC women's Bible study last week and this week and of course we prayed for you. Teresa B. shared about your upcoming treatments as I hadn't had a chance to check your blog.
If I wouldn't have had tickets to CO I would have come to IA with the AMBS prof when he was out to teach his class at IMS a week ago. Maybe another time... Love, prayers and blessings, Sharon

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home